IFE seeks PhD Candidate within silane decomposition reactor technology
The Sector for Energy and Environmental Technology consists of three departments: Energy Systems, Environmental Technology, and Solar Energy. The paramount goal of the energy research at IFE is to contribute to better energy production and more energy-efficient consumption, and to the development and introduction of new environmental friendly energy systems, processes and products in the Norwegian industry. The activity at IFE is largely funded by industry contract research, but we also develop our own technology and carry out research through publicly funded research projects.
The Department for Solar Energy carries out research and development within solar cell and related technology. The main focus is on development of new technology and materials for producing crystalline silicon solar cells. The Department has two laboratories, a state-of-the-art solar cell technology laboratory that was inaugurated in 2009 and a unique silane reactor laboratory. The solar cell laboratory contains advanced equipment for production, processing and characterisation of silicon solar cells and solar energy materials. The silane reactor laboratory houses three different reactor concepts: Free-Space-Reactor (FSR), Fluidized-Bed-Reactor (FBR) and centrifuge CVD reactor. To support these reactors a complete infrastructure for handling hazardous gases is in place.
PhD Position within silane pyrolysis for silicon production
The project the PhD candidate will be involved in aims to develop methods and models for understanding the mechanisms active during silane pyrolysis and associated silicon growth. The candidate will use three different Chemical Vapour Deposition (CVD) reactors to investigate these mechanisms. Relevant modelling tools will be used to describe the kinetics of silane decomposition, nucleation and growth. The candidate will be part of a team, but is also expected to carry out independent research. The main tasks will be to carry out R&D within silane pyrolysis and production of silicon with various properties. The position will be connected with the Norwegian Research Centre for Solar Cell Technology and will be supervised in collaboration with NTNU and UiO.
- A Master’s degree in science
- Experience from project and team-work
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English
- Relevant industrial experience is beneficial
- Expertise within one or more of the following topics will be beneficial:
- Kinetics of physical and chemical processes
- Gas analysis utilizing mass spectrometry and gas chromatography
- Research on explosive, flammable and toxic gases
- Documentation of experimental procedures and analysis
- Characterization of nanoparticles and -structures
- Knowledge of FEM, CFD and kinetics modelling tools
- You must be an independent person with initiative, drive, curiosity and creativity, and enjoying working together with colleagues at IFE, as well as with our research and industrial partners
We can offer
- Exciting and challenging research tasks
- Participation in the development of technology for the green economy
- Access to a modern laboratory and excellent infrastructure
- Participation in an internationally leading research team
- Social benefits including pension, life insurance and accident insurance
- Salary according to agreement
- Collaboration with highly motivated and creative people within a well-integrated and social research group
For more information regarding the position, please contact:
Department head Sean Erik Foss, tel. +47 63 80 61 04, firstname.lastname@example.org
Research director Arve Holt, tel. +47 63 80 61 95, email@example.com
Please refer to our homepage http://www.ife.no/main_subjects_new/energy_environment/solarenergy for more information about IFE.
Please forward a written application with a CV/resume and academic transcripts by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for the call is August 18th, 2014.
Attachments and application documents will not be returned.
Oil and Gas
There are currently no criteria on which to search. Please add them using the 'criteria' tab.