North European TIMES model
The sub-goals were described as follows:
- Update the technology database
- Development of a North European TIMES model (NET-model)
- Implement stochastic modelling in the NET-model
- Perform analysis of case studies and scenarios on national, European and global scale
- Operate as subtask leader in HIA annex Global Hydrogen System Analysis
The project investigates different strategies for Norway and the North European region to play an important role in the future European energy system. Our goal was to use bottom-up techno-economic models to examine the role Norway can play both as a provider of green energy and storage capacity in hydro reservoirs.
By developing a new TIMES model, where the most important neighboring countries are modelled separately, we are no able to carry out analysis with a Norwegian and North European perspective. The model has a higher time resolution than other Nordic and European models to allow for analysis of intermittent renewables like wind power. The importance of including stochastic modelling has been successfully demonstrated. The results verify that an appropriate representation of short-term uncertainty that value flexibility is important in Scandinavian energy system models.