Nuclear Technology and Physics
This sector has in 2015 been merged with sector NUSP to new sector Nuclear Technology, Physics & Safety.
IFE is international renowned within the fields material research, irradiation technology and radioactive tracers. The sector has about 100 employees and a turnover of about 205 MNOK.
The sector will focus on
- Operation of the JEEP II-research reactor as a national laboratory for applied and basic research
- Characterization and developing of new and smart materials within energy, environment and health (micro- and nanotechnology)
- Production of radioactive isotopes for medical and technical purposes
- Production of semi-conductors (Neutron Transmutation Doping (NTD) of silicon)
- Electron beam welding of advanced industrial products, research equipment, nuclear fuel and reactor core components
- Operation of the Gamma irradiation plant for reducing microbes in spices and for sterilizing of disposable medical equipment